Saturday, September 27, 2014

Scavenger What?

Tonight myself and a group of ten others decided to go on a spontaneous hike. So at four in the afternoon we left the base and rode a bus an hour and a half away. The sun sets at roughly 6:20 every night so it was not looking very promising that we would be able to make it to the top to see the view. While walking along the sidewalk, one of my friends happened to wander off and find us a ride to the top. It was such a gracious act of kindness. The couple that drove us up could only get us so far as the neighborhood went. Once they dropped us off, we had roughly a five to ten minute walk. Upon arriving at the top, we were amazed. The view was so incredible, and the photos I took cannot do it justice. Here are various shots from the night.






Like I said before. The photos do not do it justice. Amazingly enough, the view was even better than the photos show. After taking all those photos, the sun had set and we had to make our journey back to the base. Walking down in the dark was not as easy as it had been going up seeing as many of us did not pay attention while we rode to the top. Needless to say, we took a few wrong turns. It took us about an hour for all of us to make it back down and at that point we began our journey back on the bus. We arrived back at base shortly after nine. 

I have not been in Hawaii for a week and I have already had so many adventures and have been challenged in an ample amount of ways. Yesterday the thirty three students were split into eleven groups and had a scavenger hunt around the local beaches. The staff drove us to Honolulu zoo and told us that we had to take pictures of all the items on the list with at least one member from our group in the photo. There were about thirty different things on the list such as an aerial view of Waikiki, with a police officer, a ukulele, a lei, in the ocean, and with three people from different countries. We did not have enough money to take the bus back, so after walking an hour through the drizzle, we arrived back at base for dinner. Unfortunately the scavenger hunt was a game that was only for fun, which is upsetting because my team did really well and was able to complete the entire thing. We also got an amazing aerial view of Waikiki. My teammates and I walked into the highest hotel we could find, and at the thirtieth floor somehow convinced a man to let us into his room and let us take a picture of the amazing view.

Unfortunately I was the designated photographer, so I was unable to be a part of this incredible photo. Before and after the scavenger hunt, we were given the opportunity to share our testimonies. So one by one, everyone went up to the daunting stage and told their stories. It was so cool to see where everyone had been in their life and where they currently are. I especially liked hearing all the testimonies of the dts staff. Some people came from really cruddy lives and some came from great ones, yet we all ended up at the same place. I was really nervous about sharing my testimony, but once it was done and over with I was incredibly glad that all of us were able to do that because that means our friendships will be so much deeper. 

Today is the fifth day that I have been living in Honolulu and it has been such a ride so far. Before leaving for ywam I was incredibly nervous to be away from home for six months, let alone with a group of strangers that I did not know. But God has taken me on such an adventure so far, and I cannot wait to see where he takes me in the future. 

Also! I was informed that some of you may want to write me and were unsure of my address. If you look under the Donate tab, you will find my address. For now, I will just share it under this post.
Abby Ellens DTS Sept 2014
2707 Hipawai Place
Honolulu, HI 96822

Classes start this coming Monday, and I would so appreciate it if you would keep that in your prayers for me. Thanks again! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment